Mr. Stankowitz's career in personal injury litigation began while working for USF&G, an insurance company, while in law school. Following graduation, he completed a one-year judicial clerkship with the Honorable James P. Courtney, Superior Court of New Jersey, Ocean County.
Thereafter, Mr. Stankowitz was associated with the firm of Widman, Cooney, and Barrett in Oakhurst, New Jersey. There, he had full file responsibility for cases involving both injured parties and health care practitioners. He successfully tried many cases to jury verdict on behalf of his clients. In addition, Mr. Stankowitz made many successful arguments before the Appellate Division of the Superior Court. One of these cases was published in the state's legal texts and is relied upon by other lawyers in support of their cases.
Mr. Stankowitz established a name for himself during his years at that firm as an aggressive, thorough and hardworking advocate, who at the same time is compassionate when dealing with personal injury clients. His previous background in insurance defense work gained him a unique insight into what factors insurance companies look for in a case when assessing a case for settlement, so he can highlight the things which increase value for settlement purposes. His jury trial experience and expertise are invaluable for his clients when it comes time to try their case.
Mr. Stankowitz joined the newly-named Rosenberg, Kirby, Cahill & Stankowitz as a partner in June 2004. He now concentrates solely on representing people injured by the fault of others.
Mr. Stankowitz has recently concluded several significant cases for his clients. An automobile accident case whereby a client suffered a serious back injury was resolved for $2.7 million. A construction site slip and fall with a back injury settled for $1.8 million. A catastrophic injury case resulting in death was mediated to conclusion resulting in a $1.2 million recovery. In July, 2014, Mr. Stankowitz concluded a settlement of the full insurance policy limit of $1.5 million for a man who suffered a serious neck injury.*
Mr. Stankowitz is recognized as a certified civil trial attorney by the New Jersey Supreme Court. To qualify for this designation, an attorney must display a sufficient level of experience, education, knowledge and skill, pass a rigorous examination and be recognized by his peers, including judges, as having sufficient skill and reputation in the field of civil trial law.
Mr. Stankowitz is member of the Ocean County Bar Association and American Association for Justice. He currently serves as an arbitrator for personal injury cases venued in Ocean County due to his respected judgment and legal knowledge.
Mr. Stankowitz has been selected annually since 2012 for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers in the field of personal injury. This rating service recognizes outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
Mr. Stankowitz and his wife were raised and presently reside in Toms River, and they have two children. He is active in his community serving as the President of the Toms River Basketball Association (TRBA) as well as a coach to both of his childrens’ basketball teams and his daughter’s soccer team.
* Past performance is not a guarantee of future results.
Areas of Practice
- Serious Personal Injury Litigation 100%
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Civil Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, 2008, Recertified 2013
- New Jersey, 1997
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1999
- University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- Rutgers College - Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- Mango v. Pierce-Combs, 370 N.J. Super. 239, 2004
Honors and Awards
- Included in the Super Lawyers list consistently from 2012 to 2021 by Thomson Reuters
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Ocean County Bar Association
- Certified Civil Trial Attorney
- American Inns of Court
- American Association for Justice
Past Employment Positions
- Widman, Cooney and Wilson, Attorney, 1997 to 2004
- Superior Court of New Jersey, Honorable James P. Courtney, J.S.C., Law Clerk, 1996 to 1997
Pro Bono Activities
- Toms River Basketball Association, 2013 to Present
- President and Co-Founder of TRBA Titans Travel Basketball Program
- Toms River Futbol Club - Head Coach boys and girls , 2013 to Present
- Civil Practice Committee - Ocean County
- Delta Sigma Phi